Sunday, November 20, 2011

Recording a protein experiement

In the middle of preparing for Thanksgiving, I found myself with an orphaned cup of pumpkin puree.  After having made many batches of pumpkin and banana bread recently it seemed a better idea to make a batch of protein bars but my old recipe only used half a cup.  Here is today's version and after it finishes baking I'll edit this post with the verdict.


Pumpkin Protein Biscotti Bars

3 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill TVP (textured vegetable protein)
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
1 tablespoon Saigon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup egg whites (refrigerated Egg Beater brand)
1/2 cup sugar free Pumkin Pie Spice coffee syrup (such as DaVinci or Torani)
1/2 cup sugar free Pancake coffee syrup (Davinci brand)
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup apple cider
1 cup craisins

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Prepare a 10x 14 baking dish by spraying with nonstick spray.  By hand, mix all ingredients in a very large Tupperware bowl until well blended.  Pour into baking dish spreading to edges and smoothing top.  Bake 30 minutes or until top is dry and edges are lightly golden.  Remove from oven and cool in pan 10 minutes.  Turn onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.  Cut into 24 bars.  Place on a cookie sheet with each bar on it's side and bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees.  Cool and store in a well-sealed container or freeze.

1st edit:  I forgot that to make nice-looking 'biscotti' you need to trim the outside edges too so they will all be uniform and face upward for the 2nd baking.  After putting these in the oven the first time I reviewed my other (Almond Protein Biscotti in the sidebar listing) one and found that in that one I did the 2nd baking 20 minutes.  For an experiment I'm going to bake 10 minutes on each side.  A little more fussing but it might give me more crisp edges.

From the side trimmings I tasted (hey, I couldn't let them go to waste!) these are going to be very satisfying! Might even have to go all out and do the little bit of melted white chocolate coating.  I have been saving my  last two Amber Lyn's sugar free white chocolate bars just for something special. http://www.amberlynchocolatestore.com/build-a-box-p/build-a-box.htm

2nd edit:  These turned out so tasty that I have ordered another box of sugar free white chocolate.  I love having that backup for projects like this.  Though...the biscotti aren't crunchy like I'd hoped and remembered.  Guess they should have a longer bake time both times.  Oh well, they are yummy and very filling for the calories!  Win/Win!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Hi Molly...

Thank you for leaving your comment over at 21 Rosemary Lane! I think if I remember correctly those candlesticks are Gorham. I got them as a wedding gift in 1992 when I was married for the first time and I think the style of them is timeless. So funny that you love the same ones! Great taste and minds are alike I guess!

And I have to say that I have never ever seen a recipe for a protien bar...I think that is fantastic! I may be whipping a few up when I start to train for my next marathon...they sound yummy!

Happy New Year!!!